I don’t know how many more posts I can write that say ‘its ok to have a crappy day’ and lord knows I have seen a lot of self care posts floating round the blogosphere recently. And this isn’t me bashing/slating/throwing shade at those posts because I read EVERY SINGLE GODDAM ONE OF THEM & LOVE THEM. But I am conscious of filling up my blog with posts that are similar to ones I have already written. However, I do often get inspo to write a post after I have had a crappy spell/got into a funk/am down in the dumps because when I come out the other side I am like DAMN that was weird and I am so glad I know how to get out of those now.
So basically, I have had a great week. Yeah bet you were expecting me to say a shitty week weren’t you? Well here’s the funny (not so funny at all) thing about depression…sometimes it isn’t triggered from having a crappy week. Sometimes it just creeps up and is like “hey, wanna know something hilarious? I am still here lololol”. I know right, what a little bastard?! Anyway, my depression has been creeping in this week & I am pretty sure it’s because I am starting to make progress with my counselling. Turns out talking through all of the crap in your brain with someone actually uncovers habits/triggers/all that jazz & I am starting to learn about the inner workings of my mental health. So that is great news but it also means that it pulls up a lot of stuff I have locked away in boxes inside my mind for a while. Which means that there have been a few tears this week & a few times I have wanted to pull my hair out but ya know what? It’s all good, it’s all progress & it’s all going to be okay.
In the interim, here are a few things I did today after crying my eyes out and consequently smudging blue eyeliner all down my face. Side note: i’m digging blue eyeliner right now. Not the kinda blue from the 90s that’s all pearly and sparkly and whatever but a kind of dark teal. Try it out.
- lighting candles ~ personal fav is my pumpkin pie one because yeah i am a basic white girl in autumn ok
- dancing ~ specifically round my room to my ‘take me back’ playlist on spotify which is full of fleetwood mac, aretha franklin & carole king
- writing ~ in my journal (which i recommend you start keeping, honestly its amazing what having someone to write whatever the hell you want can do for your mental wellbeing – obvs my blog is kinda like a journal too but there are some things that the internet doesn’t need to know)
- quotes ~ get on pinterest, find a quote, write it out on some paper and decorate with whatever the hell you want and stick it to the mirror so you remember
- red wine ~ obvs don’t do this if you aren’t of legal age and I’m not saying drink a bottle…but a glass of red in bed on a sunday afternoon with netflix on in the background can do wonders
- plan something ~ text a friend & say “hey let’s do something”. even if it’s just a walk or grabbing a coffee, get out of the house and see a human being you love & trust. shoutout to my friends & especially the boyfriend for being fab as always this week.
have a good week my lovely little human beans & i’ll see you on here again soon
find me here
if you want to work with me ( i am PR friendly i promise) / write for the blog / talk to me email me at: email@example.com